Monday, January 18, 2010

Mong Dal


Mong Dal-Serves 4






· 1 cups hulled and split mung dal

· 3.5 – 4 cups water

· 1/4 tsp. Indian chili pepper

· 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric

· 3/4 Tbs. peeled and finely grated fresh ginger

· 1/2 Tbs. garlic, crushed to a pulp (about 3 cloves)

· 1 medium shallot, minced

· 1 1/8 tsp. kosher salt (scant tsp. fine sea salt)

· 2 Tbs. oil-Oilve or vegetable oil

· 1 tsp. whole brown mustard seeds

· 1/4 tsp. chili flakes

1. Wash the dal, then add to a 2-quart lidded pot, along with 3.5 cups of water. If you’re not going to eat the dal immediately, use 4 cups of water as it thickens as it sits. I usually soak it water for abt 10 mins for fast cooking. After that bring to a boil. Do not let them boil over. Skim off the scum that rises to the surface with a slotted spoon. Stir.

2. Add the Indian chili powder, turmeric, ginger, garlic, shallot, and salt. Stir. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover with the lid, and simmer gently for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the dal is tender.

3. Pour the oil into a small frying pan and set over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, put in the mustard seeds and red chilies. As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop, a matter of seconds, empty the contents of the frying pan, oil and spices, into the pan containing the dal. Cover immediately with the lid to trap the aromas. Stir gently before serving.

My notes

I wanted to make mong and toovar dal but was out of toovar dal, as well as other necessary ingredients. This is my simplified, don’t-go-to-the-store version. If you want to veer back to the original, use 1/2 toovar dal, add in asoefetida, fresh green chilies, cilantro, and fresh curry leaves, and use whole dried red chilies instead of chili flakes, and ghee instead of oil.

I fried my spices in olive oil, because thats what I use. It adds specific flavor.You can add cilantro leaves or kasuri methi for garnishing

I would eat this with chapatti, naan, or cauliflower curry, yoghurt or any other vegetable curry dish. Add some rice and/or raita and you’d have a healthy, tasty, vegetarian Indian feast.

This is a large recipe. It makes around 3.5 – 4 cups I think. I bet it would freeze well, but I haven’t tried it.

If you’ve never eaten mong dal. You can check the image, Its quite accurate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hits counter Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs